Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bruschetta on a Summer's Day

Now I know we haven't had much sunshine yet but on one of the few sunny days we had in May I was inspired to make bruschetta. I am not much of a salad person but I love this dish and I always feel healthy after eating it! My Dad was the first person in our family to make this dish. My mother subsequently stole the recipe from Dad and claimed it as her own. Now I'm stealing it and claiming it as my recipe. It's an easy one to make and you can add other ingredients to it such as chilli or cucumber or whatever you fancy. Equally you can add more or less of the garlic and onions to suit your taste. Dad reckons the secret is in the bread so choose carefully! 
Maybe if everyone makes bruschetta the sun will come out for us, here's hoping!!



Ingredients (serves 3-4)
12 medium sized ripe tomatoes(plum, cherry, any sweet tomato works well)
1/2 red onion
1/2 yellow pepper
2 cloves of garlic
2 stalks of basil
2 thickly cut rounds of tiger bread(or any fresh crusty white loaf)
Good olive oil

I served this with rocket leaves and balsamic dressing.

Collect all your ingredients
                                                     

Chop tomatoes roughly into half, then quarters and then chop once more across the middle. If using cherry tomatoes you can just chop them in half.


 Place in a bowl.

 Chop the pepper and onion finely and add to the tomatoes.



 Crush the garlic into the mixture and mix well.

Shred the leaves of basil and add into the mix. Add enough olive oil to coat the mixture.

Place the mixture in the fridge to chill.


  The bread can now be toasted in the oven
 To assemble drizzle a small amount of oil onto the oven-toasted bread. Spoon the tomato mixture onto the bread. 
 
 Serve with salad and sunshine!


No comments:

Post a Comment